Saturday, May 29, 2010

Baby Squirrel


I was driving down my street and saw this little grey thing moving in the street. Being the animal-lover that I am, I pulled over and scooped up a baby squirrel. I know what you are thinking...baby fly tying materials. No, I put the little guy under a bush off the road. Maybe his (yes it was a male...I checked) mom would come to retrive him. I came back 2 hours later and the fella was still there. It was getting cold and late. Needless to say I brought him home and snuggled him in an old T-shirt, in a box with a very low heating pad. Gave him a little water. He was very sweet. Sadly he did not make it through the night. Preliminary autopsy results (just kidding) reveal that he had a gash on his belly with a bit 'o his entrails hanging out, likely from the neighborhood hawk steeling him from his nest. He must of had bad internal injuries. Very sad, but I had never held such a tiny squirrel. Actually I don't think I have ever even touched a living squirrel.

No comments: